Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Brief History of Ze Comic Book

This week I read Jack Cole and the Plastic Man, Tin Tin, and some of Bark's Uncle Scrooge and the Pygmy Indians.

Plastic Man was adorable.  It kind of reminded me of that really old Batman tv show that had really bad jokes and there was a still of Batman slapping Robin and it was really over the top.


It seems like it really developed the idea for the creation of Mr. Fantastic in Fantastic Four, since they both basically had the same creation story.  Plastic Man sure had some great one liners like "Why, that inhuman rat!!" I was really into the pace of it until I got to the whole backstory about the kid with the blue eyes. And then it was like his father killed his mother and he lost his ability to talk and his father would beat him and then people tarred his father and then he was adopted and then sold back to his father? Like what? It was like 5 twists at once and it took up like a page or two to even describe the whole thing and it kind of left me reeling.  It was very bizarre, I wasn't expecting that.  I mean, they had a villian who could make you cry he was so sad looking.  And the first bad guy got his head caught in a bear trap!  It was very entertaining and took some very unexpected turns as I was reading it.


I really enjoyed Tin Tin.  I saw part of the movie and the whole motion capture animation combo thing really did not work for me.  It was really unsettling for me to watch, it just looked wrong.  But the comic itself does read very much like an animation.  Not a lot is left up to chance and basically you follow the characters from one place to another and it is very thorough as far as conversations and interactions with other characters goes. I didn't realize how much detail went into this comic in particular, all of the locations and the different types of dress that people wore was really well done.  A lot of research went into this piece.  Some of the things did seem a little racey though.  I mean in the Tin Tin comic I read they were looking for someone named Chang Chon-Chen.  I mean, I really had to wince at that one.  A friend of mine said she had one of the Tin Tin comics and they even had a guy in blackface.

First of all the Uncle Scrooge comic was very cute and very Disney.  And by that I mean, it was for methods of teaching with Scrooge always being shown by his nephews how to do the right thing.  And very G rated. God forbid we actually show someone actually getting hit by an arrow or something.  It was kind of highly predictable and once again, a little on the racey side as far as the Indians part.  I think what this comic had going for it that was really good was the poses, everything just flows really nicely.  If I was little I would have really enjoyed this because it has the same high quality of a regular Disney animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment